Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Extra Biblical truths

http://blackieschurchmilitant-apocalypsis.blogspot.com/2012/03/does-bible-teach-that-everything-that.html
Does the Bible teach that everything that we believe and practice has to be found in its pages?






A Catholic buddy of mine offered this list as a start...

Hmmm...things non-Catholics believe that are not in the Bible. Lets see.

1. Evangelistic appeals.

2. Vacation Bible School.

3. Youth groups and youth pastors.

4. Church picnics,

5. Praise bands.

6. Bible Colleges.

7. Short hair on men, long hair on women. ( I once knew a preacher who insisted Jesus had a crew cut


A non-Catholic then asked, "Can you show me where in the Bible it calls tradition God breathed?" to which I replied, Sure...2nd Thessalonians 3:6 And we charge you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother walking disorderly, and not according to the tradition which they have received of us.






So still no one has shown me where the Bible says that everything that we believe and practice has to be found in the pages of the Bible. I need to see this if I'm going to abandon my Catholic faith and return to what you have.



In fact...you need to show it to all of us Catholics because so long as you can't, every Catholic reading this has no chance of converting away from our most holy faith. Worse still...it makes it appear that we are right to reject this and (God help us all!), that would mean that you would be wise to seriously consider converting to the Catholic faith ASAP.

If it's not in the Bible then it violates the very tenet that virtually every n-C doctrine is based upon, that such things must be found in the pages of the Bible. That's probably the fundamental foundation of most n-C belief and teaching in the last 500 years.






This is a doctrine is one that many non-Catholics hold very dear and I'm serious...if you can show me this and not be refuted by me and my Catholic brothers and sisters, then you have a chance to really dent our Catholic faith. If you can't....well...that dent might be somewhere else.



I have Bibles all over the place right here and you even get the benefit of the 73 book canon to use. I absolutely need to see this. Seriously.





This article is about getting some non-Catholic to show me where this idea is found within the pages of the Word of God. That's all I'm asking here.



If you want to shake me as a Catholic loose from my faith then this is what it will take.



I've read the Bible several times and cannot find this taught there, even with 73 books to work with.



I re-converted to the Catholic faith in part because of this very thing. If the Catholic Church is wrong on this...it should be pretty simple to show me.





This also has to with MATERIAL AND FORMAL SUFFICIENCY which is one of the things that a lot of people on both sides of this issue don't understand. My friend John Martignoni has a kinda neat way of explaining that here. A friend of mine said that his church takes the Bible literally, but that the Catholic Church doesn't...is that true?

The Fullness of truth is important. In John 14:6 Jesus tells us that He is "the truth" and I for one want nothing less.






I am trying to get you or any of the other n-Cs here that hold that belief to show us where it is found in the Word of God.









Again though....where is this scriptural mandate that all that we believe and practice must be found in the pages of the Bible?







I don't understand how people can believe this idea since St. Paul plainly tells Timothy that he's to withdraw from anyone who doesn't walk according to that tradition. If it wasn't inspired, the why would he make a big deal of it?



2nd Thessalonians 3:6 And we charge you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother walking disorderly, and not according to the tradition which they have received of us.



The following article from my blog points out some other ways in which the apostles showed their thinking on Sacred Tradition.  Infallibility & How The Apostles Taught the Study of Sacred Tradition.

THIS CONCEPT OF SACRED TADITION IS THE UYNDERPINNING OF JUDAISM AS WELL AS TAUGHT IN THE MIDRASHIM THEN NEXT POST WILL HIGHLIGHT THIS ARTICLE

No comments:

Post a Comment