Father Jacques de Jesus (Lucien Burel) a Carmelite friar was headmaster of a school in Avon. Young men who were being forced to go to Germany as laborers and appealed to him for help. Father Jacques hid these men along with the Jewish children he wanted to save. He was arrested by the Gestapo and badly mistreated. He died soon after he was liberated by American troops (The above was an excerpt from the below web site)
This post is a tribute to this Carmelite father. He was featured and honored in a Louis Malle film (English titled "Goodbye My Children" "Au revoir les enfants"). Many were the outsanding Catholic heroes of the Holocaust mentioned in the first cite below in an article. Louis Malle finally paid tribute to his former headmaster.
- In Belgium Father Bruno rescued more than 300 Jews in France
- Protestant Pastor Andre Trocme hid several 1000 Jews in silence around the village of Le Chambon a story of amazing courage
- Father Jules-Gerard Saliege
- Father Pierre-Marie Benoit
- Father Jacques headed a school in Avon and hid Jewish boys from the Nazis and was transported when caught to Mathausen and died several weeks later after liberation.The photo to the right features Maurice Schlosser one of the hidden boys on the rocks of Avon.
- Father Pietro Boetto saved at least 800 lives The first website refers to their lives and heroic deeds.
A further article on Father Jacques
The boy's school in Avon France was a refuge for hiding Jewish youth from the Nazis. He placed the noted Jewish botanist Lucien Weil on the school faculty.
Here are some of the written sources on this amazing hero, Fr. Jacques.
Bernadac Christian, Les Sorciers du Ciel - Le Pere Jacques a Gusen (Lucien Bunel), France Empire, Paris 1969
Carrouges Michel, Père Jacques (Lucien Bunel ... as remembered by his fellow prsioners at GUSEN concentration camp) , The Macmillan Company, New York, 1961
Hugelé, Gavard, Murphy, Gufoni, Sterckx, Bédarida, Choumoff, Maccise, Par la Croix vers la lumière, Le Père Jacques de Jésus 1900-1945, Textes des journées de recontre organisées à la mémoire du Père Jacques, les 9-11 juin et 22-24 septembre 1995, Les Èditions du Cerf, Paris 1999
Murphy Fancis J., Pére Jacques - Resplendent in Victory, Institute of Carmelite Studies (ICS Publications), Washington, D.C. 1998
USHMM, Temporary Exhibition on the Actions of Father Jacques, On-line version, Washington, Spring 1997