Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Roofs that shelter us






















































Here are the notes of the pictures of roofs pictured in the above link. Its on the blog site.











view of the roofs of the village of roussillon in the provence october 2005
thatched roof in adare a village which preserves this traditional roof - according the village's website adare is 'Ireland's prettiest village' - from what I saw the claim could be true, but first I'd like to visit the rest of ireland's villages!
random paris roofs. the picture above was taken in the 18 arrondissement (the montmartre neighborhood) but I also really love the snap on the right which was taken from the top of the centre georges pompidou (4th arrondissement). it was very hard selecting only one snap from paris, a city with marvelous roofs!
one of the marvelous gingerbread houses at the annual botanical garden holiday extravaganza. such a yummy looking roof - but then again I do have a soft spot for licorice of all flavors and varieties!
the roof of casa batlló which I believe is the most exciting and creative roof I have ever encountered. but I am in search for a roof that can top this!
looking through the glass ceiling and glass roof of the british museum, london
st. theodosius russian orthodox church in the tremont neighborhood of cleveland. this church is featured (made famous?) in the wedding scene of the 1978 movie the deer hunter, a film which went on to win several oscars. I'm ashamed to admit I have yet to watch the movie (the subject matter I fear will leave me in a puddle of tears - I do like a good cry, but there is something about war and war movies that I find most difficult!)
the roof of the house in which I live adorned with a particularly lovely bit winter frosting called a snow cornice! how I do love winter and all it brings!





























The quotes on this blog so match the bautiful pictures of the roofs that
shelter us. I like the quote from Camus, Tolstoy and Emrson especially

But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life
he leads?
Albert Camus (1913-1960) novelist, essayist and playwright

We take care of our health, we lay up money, we make our roof tight and our
clothing sufficient, but who provides wisely that he shall not be wanting the
best property of all -- friends? Emerson

Faith is the sense of life, that sense by virtue of which man does not
destroy himself, but continues to live on. It is the force whereby we live.
Leo Tolstoy (1828 - 1910) writer

On life's journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter,
wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If
a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him.
Buddha (563-483 B.C.E.)
Hindu prince, teacher, philosopher

It is sad to grow old but nice to ripen.
Brigitte Bardot (b. 1934)
actress & activist

No comments:

Post a Comment